Anatomy & Physiology: Where East meets West
Our bodies can be understood in many different ways. We have the western model based on the physical systems that we can observe and understand. There are Eastern models based on the flow of energy. What is interesting is when these models can be held up together and see how they work together!
Understanding what is going on physically or energetically in the body is not necessary to get the benefits that yoga provides. But when we have a sense of what is going on, we can start to “be our own best counsel”. Through knowledge of how our physical systems interact and can go awry, we can help ourselves to modify our practice to keep it safe.
Through understanding of our energy bodies, we can often feel shifts in emotional and mental issues. We can be gentler with ourselves as we discover what has been buried for decades and we can help get everything flowing again.
We will also learn some basics in Ayurveda – understanding our doshas and how we can use this information to bring ourselves back into balance.
In this intensive, we will:
- Learn about the effects and importance of movement in the body & mind
- Explore physical anatomy – western systems, interactions & health
- Explore energy anatomy – chakras, yogic bodies, koshas
- Learn about kundalini
- Learn about nadis
- Explore basic Ayurvedic principles and apply them to our lives
- Experience “energy” in ourselves
- Do many yoga kriyas and meditations to connect us with both the physical and the energy aspects of our beings.
This is Module V in the SOUL OF A TEACHER Teacher Training program.